Propane tanker truck explodes on Hwy. 59 near Whitewater
LIMA TOWNSHIP, Wis. (AP) — A propane tanker exploded at a farm cooperative creating a massive fireball in the Lima Township just west of Whitewater Friday afternoon. Remarkably, nobody was hurt in the blast.
Sheriff’s Capt. Jude Maurer says 13 fire agencies responded and had the blaze under control within an hour.
Maurer says the blast tore holes in the sides of a metal building where a worker was transferring propane from a storage tank to a delivery tanker. The worker was able to run out of the building before the explosion. No one was hurt.
Wisconsin Emergency Management says the truck, carrying 3,400 gallons of propane, was engulfed in flames. The fire also damaged a nearby building.
Wisconsin Highway 59 was closed but has since reopened.
A couple of other propane tanks are near the explosion site and officials were worried the intense heat from the fire could potentially cause another explosion and fire.
Officials say at this time, there were no hazardous materials concerns — and no fumes that posed a hazard.
Watch the entire clip of the explosion caught on camera by a passerby on YouTube by CLICKING HERE. NOTE: Be aware there is foul language in the clip.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.Submit Your Photo
- McDonald's customers shocked by workers manning drive-through
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Convicted killer gets tongue-lashing from judge: "I hope you die in prison"
- An inside job? Police have new information on bank robbery
- Rosie O'Donnell 50 pounds lighter! How'd she do it?