Cubs edge Brewers’ split squad, 5-3
MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Starlin Castro hit a two-run homer in the first inning off minor leaguer Kyle Heckathorn, and the Cubs beat a Milwaukee Brewers’ split squad 5-3 Tuesday in Chicago’s spring training finale.
Castro’s homer went off the scoreboard in left field. He was replaced later by Alfredo Amezaga, who homered off Heckathorn leading off the fifth.
Chicago, which went 17-16-2 in the exhibition season, opens at Wrigley Field on Thursday against Washington and ace Stephen Strasburg.
Scooter Gennett had three hits for the Brewers, including a run-scoring double. Most of Milwaukee’s regulars were with the other split squad in Phoenix to play the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man arrested after backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City