Teen sentenced to six years in prison for Brat Days hit-and-run
SHEBOYGAN –The Sheboygan teenager accused of hitting and killing a woman with her vehicle at Brat Days in Sheboygan was sentenced Monday to six years in prison and nine years of probation.
19-year-old Kayla Bower reached a plea deal with prosecutors earlier this year. Bower pleaded no contest to three felony charges, including injury and homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.
On August 6th, 60-year-old Barbara Janke, her daughter and another woman were in a crosswalk, leaving the Brat Days festival. Bower is accused of hitting Janke, and Bower never stopped her vehicle. Janke eventually died, and the two other women were injured.
Bower told police she wasn’t sure she’d hit anyone.
The courtroom was filled Monday with those supporting the victim and Bower, and it was a difficult day for both sides. Bower addressed Janke’s family in court, saying “I took something from you that you’ll never get back, and for that, I am deeply sorry.”
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man arrested after backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City