State warns not all donations go to local aid
State Capitol, Madison
MADISON(AP) — The state of Wisconsin is warning people that not all money raised by professional law enforcement and firefighting associations goes to local agencies.
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection advises people to make sure they know where their donation is going before agreeing to give the money.
Agency official Sandy Chalmers says the money raised by the campaigns is legitimate, but it can be confusing to people who think they are helping out their local departments.
The Consumer Protection Bureau says if anyone has questions about where their money is going, they should simply ask. Solicitors are required by law to give out that information.
The bureau says to be suspicious of any caller unable or unwilling to disclose that basic information.
CLICK HERE to see a FOX6 Contact 6 report on police/fire fundraising calls for more.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man arrested after backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Arctic Monkeys, Berlin among Summerfest's latest headliners revealed