2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

West Allis mother, son killed in separate crashes Sunday morning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEST ALLIS -- West Allis police are investigating two fatal crashes that occurred early Sunday morning, April 29th -- one on 81st and Lapham, and the other at 90th and National. Police have confirmed the separate incidents had a devastating impact on one family, killing a mother and son within hours of one another.

The two collisions were separated by about four hours. The first took the life of 45-year-old Mary Moore of West Allis.

It happened around 1:00 a.m., when a car left the area of 81st and Lapham after hitting Moore. Police say the victim was lying in the roadway, though circumstances surrounding how she came to be in the roadway are still uncertain.

The driver in this crash fled the scene, but police were able to catch that driver later. Police took the driver into custody, and say alcohol may have been a factor in the crash.

Police are looking for information on this incident, and ask anyone with information that could help in their investigation to call them at (414) 302-8000.

A few hours later and just blocks away, another fatal collision occurred. Around 5:30 a.m., at 90th and National, police say 22-year-old Thomas Olson of West Allis, a passenger involved in a rollover crash, died. The driver and two other passengers were hurt.

Investigators say while attempting to turn from W. Becher St. onto W. National Ave., the driver struck three parked cars and the vehicle overturned.

The driver was arrested for OWI, and police say speed and alcohol appear to be contributing factors.

Police said late Sunday that Moore, the victim in the first incident, is the mother of Olson, the victim in the second incident.

Police say those in the vehicle involved in the second incident were responding to the hospital after being notified of the first incident.

Investigators say charges could come as early as Monday.