5-5-12: IL MITO’s Sicilian Agrodolce Chicken
Chef Feker’s offering you an opportunity to add a little Sicily to your chicken the next time you’re in the mood for something different. Check out IL MITO’s Sicilian Agrodolce Chicken.
Ingredients – Serves 4
• 4, 6-oz Chicken Breasts
• 4 oz Balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 oz soy sauce
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
• 1 red, yellow, green bell pepper sliced
• 1 small onion sliced
• 2 teaspoon chopped fresh Garlic
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 2 oz fresh basil, shredded
• 2 cups flour, seasoned with 2 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp white pepper, 2 tsp powdered mustard and 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• Your favorite Tempura Batter according to the package’s instructions
• 2 quarts oil for frying
1. Heat oil for frying to 375 degrees and preheat oven to 375 degrees as well.
2. Meanwhile, dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour. Set aside.
3. When oil is ready, dip each dredged chicken breast in tempura batter, and place gently in hot oil (do this one or two at a time).
4. Remove chicken after 2 minutes and place on a cookie sheet.
5. Sauté onion, garlic, bell peppers, basil, ginger and brown sugar in olive oil until soft and lightly caramelized.
6. Place chicken in the oven for 7 minutes.
7. Deglaze the vegetable pan with balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, red wine and chicken broth.
8. Reduce sauce by half and when chicken is ready serve atop chicken and enjoy.