Man dies after driving car into Milwaukee River on city’s east side
MILWAUKEE — 78-year-old Generoso Simons died early Wednesday morning, May 23rd, after driving his car into the Milwaukee River on the city’s east side.
Authorities say the incident occurred around 2 a.m. by the Riverfront Boat Launch near S. Water Street and E. Bruce Street. Officials say Simons drove off the road and into the water.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s report says Simons was recovered from 10 to 12 feet of water. He had been in the water for roughly 10 minutes.
Authorities received a call within minutes after the incident happened. The Milwaukee Fire Department Dive Team responded to the scene and pulled Simons from the water. Officials say Simons was not breathing.
FOX6 has learned that paramedics were able to get Simons breathing on the scene — but he later died at the hospital.
Investigators say there were no skid marks in the area, and no one else was in the vehicle.
Simons’ longtime girlfriend says she doesn’t know why he would have been in that area, but that he did get confused at times when driving.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.
- Two killed, one hurt in head-on crash, speed possibly a factor
- VIRAL: Dash cam shows something shocking, and then...
- Who would steal from a baby's grave plot? You won't believe this video
- Waukesha doctor "stunned" after alleged attack, police chase
- CLICK & PRINT your very own 2014 Green Bay Packers schedule