75-year-old man charged with first degree murder in shooting of boy
MILWAUKEE — 75-year-old John Spooner is charged with first degree murder for the shooting death of 13-year-old Darius Simmons. The charges come down just a day before the family planned a vigil to remember Simmons.
According to the criminal complaint, Simmons was retrieving the garbage from the curb when he was confronted by Spooner. Spooner, the victim of multiple burglaries, alleged Simmons was the culprit of at least one of the burglaries.
Spooner asked Simmons for his belongings back, including two shotguns. Simmons denied having anything to do with Spooners’ stolen property. Simmons’ mother Patricia Larry told police she also told Spooner they had nothing to do with his stolen property.
The criminal complaint says that’s when Spooner pulled out his gun and fired two shots at Simmons. When police arrived Spooner said, “Yeah I shot him.”
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the death a homicide after examining the gunshot wounds on Simmons’ body.
The first degree murder charge carries a possible sentence of life in prison.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man arrested after backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City