Man accused of shooting, killing Darius Simmons due in court
MILWAUKEE — John Spooner, the 75-year-old man accused of shooting and killing 13-year-old Darius Simmons, is expected in court Monday, June 11th for his preliminary hearing.
Spooner is charged with first degree intentional homicide.
Police say Spooner shot Simmons from just a few feet away. Spooner is accused of confronting the teen as Simmons was taking out the trash. Officials have said Spooner’s home was burglarized, and some items were taking, including some shotguns. Spooner reportedly believed “his neighbor” was to blame.
Police say when Simmons’ mother told Spooner they didn’t have his stuff and weren’t responsible for burglarizing his home, Spooner pulled out a gun and shot Simmons and then shot him again as he was running away.
When police arrived on the scene, Spooner admitted to shooting the boy.
The first degree murder charge carries a possible sentence of life in prison.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- Arctic Monkeys, Berlin among Summerfest's latest headliners revealed