6-29-12: Mashed Potato Cakes
Chef Feker joins FOX6 WakeUp to make mashed potato cakes.
Recipes: Mashed Potato Cakes
• 2 cups chilled mashed potatoes (no milk or butter when you make)
• 1/2 cup of roasted garlic
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
• 1 Tablespoon of fresh herbs chopped (oregano, thyme, basil, parsley)
• 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1. Combine the garlic, herbs and the potatoes.
2. Divide your mixture into 10 equal portions. Use an ice cream scope and your hands to form 1/2-inchthick patties.
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
4. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate.
5. Coat the potato patties in the flour mixture.
6. Add the potato cakes to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
7. Cook until they have formed a golden crust, 15 to 20 minutes. (Peek underneath using a spatulabefore turning.)
8. Turn and cook the other side until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
9. Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot.