Carbon monoxide leak forces evacuation of Milwaukee tower

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE — A carbon monoxide scare prompted firefighters to evacuate residents in a 22-story high-rise building in downtown Milwaukee late Saturday night, June 30th.

Firefighters were called around 11 p.m. for a carbon monoxide leak in one of the units at the Wisconsin Tower, located near 6th and Wisconsin.

Emergency responders detected high levels of carbon monoxide, and evacuated all 74 units in the building.

A two-year-old girl was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

“We brought in two alarms worth of fire companies to evacuate the building and ventilate the carbon monoxide,” Milwaukee Fire Department Battalion Chief Sean Slowey said.

Everyone was allowed back into the building after it was properly ventilated.