Contact 6: President Obama will pay your utility bills?
MILWAUKEE — You may have heard President Barack Obama is willing to pay your utility bills, but it’s not true! FOX6′s Contact 6 is issuing an alert regarding a nationwide scam.
The recent summer heat is forcing those with air conditioning to crank them up, using a lot of power and resulting in big bills at the end of the month!
A new scam is convincing some that President Obama will pay utility bills through a new federal program.
The scammers use fliers, the phone, email, text messages and anything else they can to get people to buy in to the program. Then, they ask for social security numbers and other sensitive information before you can start getting your bills paid.
In reality, the targeted individuals end up paying hundreds of dollars to the scammer, and still have to pay their utility bills on top of it.
Contact 6 says you should never give out your social security number, credit card number or banking information to anyone asking for it over the phone, unless you initiated the contact and are confident about who you’re talking to.
- Popular TV program "Cosmos" makes a comeback on FOX Sunday night
- New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
- Police investigating death of baby boy, mother in custody
- Four teens shot while inside vehicle, one critically injured
- One person killed after car strikes tree in Milwaukee