Red Cross helping 8 families after homeless shelter fire
DARIEN — American Red Cross volunteers are assisting displaced residents after an electrical malfunction at the Twin Oakes Homeless Shelter in Darien Tuesday evening, July 10th.
The Red Cross says it is helping 17 residents (8 families) who were displaced as a result of smoke engulfing the building. The Red Cross will provide lodging and food for these families.
FOX6 had a crew on the scene, who reported there were no flames coming from the building, but smoke in the attack from an electrical problem. Power was turned off as a result, and the lack of power is why the residents were displaced.
“We are so relieved that that was the extent of the incident. When I got the call, my assumption was it could be much worse than it was. We are relieved the residents are being appreciative about having somewhere to go in the interim,” Executive Director Lisa Furseth said.
The Red Cross is housing the residents at a nearby Super 8 motel.
Twin Oakes is a 90-day shelter for families set up by Community Action Incorporated. They’re hoping to get folks back into the shelter within the next few days.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Teen canoeist found safe, but "nobody should be putting canoes in rivers"
- Unexpected: Baby gorilla named Kassiu dies at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- CUTE ALERT! Baby unable to talk, yet argues with father