Attendance down 8.3% at Summerfest 2012
MILWAUKEE — Summerfest attendance during the 2012 run was down 8.3% to 805,437. That compares to 2011 which saw 878,636 fest-goers walk through the turnstiles.
The 11-day run of Summerfest battled heat indexes in the 90s and 100s on more than half of its operating days. On five of those days, the National Weather Service issued heat advisories and excessive heat warnings.
Officials with Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. say despite the heat, they are pleased with the numbers.
“This year’s extreme stretch of heat was something that this region has not seen for decades and unfortunately prevented many Summerfest fans from coming out to enjoy the event,” Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer, Don Smiley said.
Next year’s operating dates will be June 26 – 30 and July 2 – 7, 2013. Summerfest will be closed on Monday, July 1.
- McDonald's customers shocked by workers manning drive-through
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Convicted killer gets tongue-lashing from judge: "I hope you die in prison"
- An inside job? Police have new information on bank robbery
- Rosie O'Donnell 50 pounds lighter! How'd she do it?