Chef Feker’s Spicy Garlic Basil Scallops
The next time you consider serving your guests scallops at home, give those scallops a little zing. Chef Feker shows you how.
• 1 pound of Sea Scallops
• 1/4 cup corn starch or rice flour
• 1/4 cup of white wine
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 Vidalia onion sliced thin
• 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 medium Lemon
• 1/2 cup chicken stock
1. To a large skillet, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter, Vidalia onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden and caramelized. Remove onion and garlic.
2. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter to the skillet and sear the dusted Scallops in two batches. Sear on both sides one minute per side. Remove scallops and set aside.
3. In the skillet, add the remaining butter, basil, chili flakes, white wine and onions and cook two minutes. Add chicken stock and return liquid to a simmer. Return scallops to the pan and cook, flipping once until done. Season your sauce with salt and pepper to taste and let rest until your scallops are done.
Suggested Wine: A good Chardonnay, not too oaky or a Pinot Noir for red.