Yahoo’s new CEO Marissa Mayer grew up in Wisconsin
WAUSAU (AP) — Yahoo has tapped another Wisconsin native to lead the Internet company. 37-year-old Marissa Mayer was an executive at Google before she accepted the challenge of trying to turn Yahoo around. Mayer grew up in Wausau and graduated from Wausau East High School.
Mayer becomes the second Wisconsin woman to try to revive Yahoo. Carol Bartz was CEO of Yahoo from 2009 until September of last year. Bartz grew up on a farm near Alma in western Wisconsin.
Mayer joined Google in 1999 and played an integral role in helping its co-founders exploit their online search technology to outmaneuver Yahoo and establish what still reigns as the Internet’s most powerful company.
- McDonald's customers shocked by workers manning drive-through
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Convicted killer gets tongue-lashing from judge: "I hope you die in prison"
- MISSING: Police ask for your help in locating 13-year-old girl
- An inside job? Police have new information on bank robbery