Contact 6: Property deed copy scam alert
MILWAUKEE — FOX6′s Contact 6 is issuing an alert regarding an official-looking letter being sent to homeowners offering a service you can do for yourself, for a lot less!
The letter offers homeowners a copy of their property deed for just $89. The letter says the deed copy comes from a place called the “Local Records Office” in Madison, and says the company provides a copy of the only document that identifies the homeowner.
However, the website for the Register of Deeds Association in Wisconsin says don’t be fooled by companies offering deeds for $87. The site says property deed fees are set by the state, and are just $2 for the first page, $1 for every additional page and a certification fee per document copy of $1.
Since a deed is just a couple pages, the homeowner will spend about $5.
The Register of Deeds Office in Milwaukee says homeowners don’t need to have a copy of a deed on hand because it’s on file with the county.
Homeowners who would like a copy of their need can call the local deed office and save a lot of money!
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Teen canoeist found safe, but "nobody should be putting canoes in rivers"
- Unexpected: Baby gorilla named Kassiu dies at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- CUTE ALERT! Baby unable to talk, yet argues with father