Attorney enters not guilty plea for John Spooner
MILWAUKEE — The lawyer for 75-year-old John Spooner entered a plea of not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect on Thursday, August 2nd
Spooner is the Milwaukee man accused of shooting and killing his teenage neighbor, Darius Simmons, over allegedly stolen guns on May 31, 2012.
His lawyer appeared on Spooner’s behalf at a court appearance on Thursday. Defense attorney Frank Gimbel says a mental-health professional who examined Spooner says he believes Spooner is suffering from mental disease.
Gimbel has until Aug. 16 to provide the doctor’s report to prosecutors, who will then decide whether to have their own doctors examine Spooner.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man in custody after two backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City