Chef Feker joins FOX6 WakeUp to prepare his famous slow raised Black Angus Beef Short Ribs.
IL MITOs Famous Slow Braised Black Angus Beef Short Ribs
Prep time needed 30 minutes
Cooking time needed 2 to 3 hours
- 2 pounds of boneless beef short ribs cut in 8 oz pieces (1 in thick)
- 1 cup of flour/cornstarch (if gluten intolerant) seasoned well with salt and white pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin in half circle
- 2 carrots, peeled, split in half-length wise and cut into half circles
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 star anise
- 1 leek, white part washed well, split length wise cut into slices
10 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 8 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 4 cups of red wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- On the stove top on medium heat, heat olive oil in a large roasting pan. Dredge beef short ribs generously in the season flour and shake off the access flour... Brown beef well on all sides, remove, and set aside. Remove half of the oil after browning the beef.
- Add vegetables, garlic and thyme, cook until lightly colored. Add beef short ribs back to the pan add the star anise and Peroni. Cover with chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, place in the preheated oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Gently remove the meat and set aside.
- Allow the liquid to cool and the grease to come to the surface and degrease the top of the liquid.
- Return the liquid to heat and reduce by half and strain the sauce and set the vegetables aside. Once ready to serve return the meat to the sauce place the vegetables on top of the meat pieces and heat at low temperature until meat is warm and serve at once.