Trial begins for former Walker aide Kevin Kavanaugh
MILWAUKEE — The trial is set to begin Monday, October 8th for a former aide to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker while he served as Milwaukee’s County Executive.
Kevin Kavanaugh, Walker’s appointee to the Milwaukee County Veteran Service Commission is accused of embezzling about $42,000 from veterans’ groups. Kavanaugh has pleaded not guilty to felony theft and fraud charges.
The criminal complaint against Kavanaugh said he embezzled at least $42,232 from the Military Order of the Purple Heart between 2006 and 2009.
In June 2010, the Milwaukee County District Attorney was investigating the finances of Operation Freedom, an annual military appreciation event. Kavanaugh worked as treasurer at the Purple Heart chapter when it served as fiscal agent for the event in 2007.
- Popular TV program "Cosmos" makes a comeback on FOX Sunday night
- New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
- Police investigating death of baby boy, mother in custody
- Four teens shot while inside vehicle, one critically injured
- One person killed after car strikes tree in Milwaukee