‘Idol’ producers speak on Carey, Minaj dispute
(CNN) — After all of the accusations that have emerged from last week’s spat between “American Idol” judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey, one might think that the producers would be less optimistic about their new panel.
But in a statement, the production team for the Fox singing competition is unfailingly optimistic, calling their lineup – which also includes Keith Urban, and longtime judge Randy Jackson – “one of the best, most passionate, dynamic and invested judging panels we’ve ever had.”
“We love and support all of the judges and the fantastic work they are doing, and we can’t imagine a better group to find the next ‘American Idol,'” the producers said. “Despite all the accusations and media speculation – much of which is inaccurate – production is going extremely well … and the judges are focused on finding the best talent here in Baton Rouge.”
That was on Friday, three days following Minaj’s recorded blowup with Carey at the judges’ table – but their argument didn’t end there.
Last week, Barbara Walters told “The View’s” audience that she’d spoken with Mariah Carey, and that the singer said she was hiring extra security after Minaj said she’d shoot Carey if she had a gun. Minaj countered with a torrent of tweets, mainly denying Carey’s claims.
It was definitely dramatic, and not everyone’s buying that it’s more than just an act. When TMZ caught up with former judge Steven Tyler and asked if he thought the feud was B.S., the Aerosmith frontman replied, “Of course, are you kidding?”
Carey’s husband Nick Cannon was similarly unfazed, telling TMZ, “it’s not a big deal at all … I think it’s been overly sensationalized.”