Students, staff evacuated because of fumes at Burlington school
BURLINGTON — Students and staff from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Burlington were evacuated to Burlington Catholic Central High School on Friday, October 19th. This, after fumes from a bad mix of cleaning chemicals were discovered in the school’s kitchen.
After the kitchen crew found the chemical mixture, it was decided that it would be best to have the children leave the school until the situation was resolved. So 340 students between kindergarten and 8th grade were relocated.
Ten adults and two students were taken to a nearby hospital. They all complained of sore throats and headaches. They were all treated and released.
A hazardous materials crew disposed of the cleaning chemicals. It’s unclear what those chemicals were.
The school has been declared safe and the students were dismissed for the day.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.Submit Your Photo
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Teen canoeist found safe, but "nobody should be putting canoes in rivers"
- Now in custody; woman who vanished after 2013 credit union robbery
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him