RACINE -- Funerals for three Racine children killed in a fire Thursday morning, November 8th are set for Friday, November 16th.
Funerals will be held at the Mount Eagle Baptist Church in Racine (929 W. State Street) at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, November 16th -- after a Friday morning visitation.
Visitations are planned for Thursday, November 15th at 10:00 a.m. at New Golden Gate Funeral Home (1910 Taylor Avenue).
Nine-year-old Dayja Scott and eight-year-old Dalija Scott were killed in the fire. Seven-year-old Michael Scott died at the hospital on Friday, November 10th. The youngest sibling, five-year-old Luther remains hospitalized.
The fire at the home on Linden Ave. in Racine broke out early Thursday morning. The mother of the children called 911 from outside the house, screaming to the dispatcher that her children were trapped inside.
Firefighters were able to get into the home after some trouble with a side window. But the two girls could not be resuscitated.
Investigators believe the fire started in a first-floor bathroom. It's not clear what sparked the fire -- but officials say it appears accidental. They know it was not electrical in nature because the power to the house had been cut off.
A makeshift memorial of stuffed animals, cards and balloons now sits in front of the home.
Psychologists are working with classmates of all three young children. They all attended Fratt School, which has been collecting donations for the family.
The Scott family is well-known on Linden Ave. The grandparents have lived on the street for more than 30 years. They adopted seven foster kids over the years in addition to their four biological kids. When the house across the street from them was available, daughter Deborah wasted no time renting it.
FOX6 News spoke with Shirley Scott -- the children's grandmother on Sunday, November 11th. She said video of the children singing church songs still sends chills down her spine.
"They were happy children. They were children that were well kept, well taken care of -- as everyone who knows them knew," Scott said.
Scott said the community support following her family's tragic loss has been tremendous -- especially the thoughts and payers for her daughter, Deborah Scott who remains at Children's Hospital by the side of five-year-old Luther.
"There are moments when she's good, and then there are moments when the memories come back, and then she's not so good," Scott said.
Luther remains at Children's Hospital, where smoke he inhaled still threatens his life. Doctors hope Luther will pull through and be home by Christmas.
"Luther is fighting. He is fighting. They're working on him. He's not progressing as fast, but they are progressing," Scott said.
Scott said she praises the first responders who rushed into the building to pull the children from the fire.
"I want to thank the police department, the fire department for everything they did," Scott said.
A fund has been established to help the Scott family deal with all the costs involved in the aftermath of the fire. Donations to the Scott Children Family Fund can be made at any Educators Credit Union or Associated Bank branch.