Lawyer for John Spooner requests venue change
MILWAUKEE — The lawyer for John Spooner requested a change of venue in court on Monday, November 19th. The request was made because the lawyer is concerned about pretrial publicity in the case tainting the jury pool.
The judge is considering the request, but hasn’t yet made a ruling.
Spooner is the 75-year-old man accused of shooting and killing 13-year-old Darius Simmons. He’s charged with first-degree intentional homicide for allegedly shooting and killing Simmons, over allegedly stolen guns on May 31, 2012.
Spooner is accused of confronting Simmons as he was taking out the trash. Spooner reported his home was burglarized and items were taken, including some shotguns. Officials say Spooner reportedly believed “his next-door neighbor” was to blame.
According to court documents, when Simmons’ mother told Spooner her son didn’t burglarize his home, she says the man pulled out a gun and shot her son from just a few feet away on May 31st. Investigators say Spooner admitted to shooting the boy. Spooner was arrested immediately and remains behind bars.
Spooner’s attorney said his client does not comprehend what the crime is against him and insists that he is not guilty. He entered an insanity plea earlier this month on his client’s behalf.
Spooner could face life in prison if convicted. A trial date is set for January 14th.
- Attorney enters not guilty plea for John Spooner
- John Spooner’s attorney questions client’s mental health
- 13-year-old Darius Simmons laid to rest in Milwaukee
- Rainbow PUSH calls for new attention in Simmons death
- Alderman says family of boy shot, killed needs public’s help
- 75-year-old man charged with first degree murder in shooting of boy
- Popular TV program "Cosmos" makes a comeback on FOX Sunday night
- New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
- Police investigating death of baby boy, mother in custody
- Four teens shot while inside vehicle, one critically injured
- One person killed after car strikes tree in Milwaukee