WAUKESHA — Vandalism in Waukesha has put a damper on Christmas for some residents. They have reported damage to holiday decorations, and are now hoping for help catching the Grinch responsible.
The holiday decorations around a Waukesha apartment complex appear every season, as two dozen families try to spread Christmas cheer. Manager Gary Baran sets the mood, but this year his holiday spirit isn’t the only thing deflated.
Two of his inflatable holiday lawn decorations were damaged — and even Santa was slashed!
“It’s a heartbreak. It was cut in several places — was just cut from his belly button to his chin,” Baran said.
Baran isn’t sure who would do something like this, but he says he believes the damage was done with a knife. Baran says his decorations are about $80 a piece.
Dick Mazurek says three of his inflatable decorations were vandalized as well.
“Big money. 60 bucks, 70 bucks, 80 bucks, whatever. I was like, come on, that’s just bad,” Mazurek said.
For 20 years, Baran has decorated problem free, but this year, he’s out about $160 and running low on holiday cheer.
“I hope the person gets caught and he rots in hell later, and on the other hand, if it’s a child or teen, then there’s a way of God getting back at him, or Santa Claus,” Baran said.
- A person reported at 1:30 a.m. Saturday finding a neighbor’s Christmas decorations smashed in the 100 block of North Hine Avenue.
- A man reported at 6:10 a.m. Saturday that an unknown person ripped off his lights during the middle of the night in the 100 block of North Hine Avenue. The man told police he’s been having problems in the neighborhood and planned to install a camera to catch the vandal.
- Christmas lights were reported damaged at 8:36 p.m. Saturday in the 1100 block of School Road.
- Christmas decorations were reported slashed at 9:31 p.m. Saturday in the 1900 block of Marliz Drive.
- An inflatable Christmas decoration was slashed at 10:38 p.m. Saturday in the 200 block of Macarthur Road.
- Christmas decorations were slashed at 10:52 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of North West Avenue.
- Decorations were reportedly cut at 8:55 a.m. Sunday in the 1700 block of Oakdale Drive.
- Six Christmas decorations were slashed at 2:45 p.m. Sunday in the 400 block of Central Avenue.
- A person reported at 6:09 p.m. Sunday in the 400 block of Estberg Avenue that two inflatable Christmas decorations were “knifed.”
- A person reported at 8:04 p.m. Sunday that an inflatable Christmas decoration was slashed in the 100 block of Rivera Drive.