Balloon launched in Iowa ends up in Michigan
ALGOMA TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A balloon launched in Iowa by a Wisconsin man to capture images from high in the atmosphere ended up crash landing in a Michigan tree.
37-year-old John Flaig of Milwaukee launched the balloon earlier this month from Calmar, Iowa.
The weather balloon was rigged with a video camera and still-frame cameras. Flaig expected the balloon to return to the ground near Milwaukee, but instead it ended up across Lake Michigan in a tree in Kent County’s Algoma Township, about 20 miles northeast of Grand Rapids.
Flaig tracked the progress of the balloon, which had a GPS device. He got the cameras back and posted photos captured from the balloon online.
He says in an email the images are “even more amazing” than he expected.
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- Teen canoeist found safe, but "nobody should be putting canoes in rivers"
- Unexpected: Baby gorilla named Kassiu dies at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- CUTE ALERT! Baby unable to talk, yet argues with father