Chef Feker joins Real Milwaukee to prepare slow braised short ribs.
IL MITOs Slow Braised Short Ribs
Prep time needed 30 minutes
Cooking time needed 2 to 3 hours
• 2 pounds of boneless short ribs cut in 8 oz pieces (1 in thick)
• 1 cup of flour seasoned well with salt and white pepper
• Salt and pepper
• 2 onions, peeled and sliced thin in half circle
• 2 carrots, peeled, split in half-length wise and cut into half circles
• 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
• 1 star anise
• 1 leek, white part washed well, split length wise cut into slices
• 10 cloves of garlic
• 1 12-oz can of diced tomatoes
• 6 sprigs of thyme
• 8 tablespoons pure olive oil
• 4 cups full body red wine such as cabernet sauvignon
• 6 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- On the stovetop on medium heat, heat olive oil in a large roasting pan. Dredge
beef short ribs generously in the season flour and shake off the access flour...
- Brown beef well on all sides, remove, and set aside. Remove half of the oil after
browning the beef.
- Add vegetables, garlic and thyme, cook until lightly colored. Add beef short ribs
back to the pan add the diced tomato, star anise and wine. Reduce wine by half
and add chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, place in the preheated oven and
cook for 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Gently remove the meat and set aside.
- Allow the liquid to cool and the grease to come to the surface and degrease the top
of the liquid.
- Return the liquid to heat and reduce by half and strain the sauce and set the
vegetables aside. Once ready to serve return the meat to the sauce place the
vegetables on top of the meat pieces and heat at low temperature until meat is
warm and serve at once.