LIVE: All lanes blocked I-43 SB at Racine Ave due to an incident, see resulting backup

Nine-week-old puppy saved after she was put on vodka drip

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUSTRALIA (CNN) -- A nine-week-old puppy has been saved by an unusual "hair of the dog" treatment. The American Staffordshire was put on a vodka drip, after being poisoned by anti-freeze.

Two weeks ago, Cleo, a furry Christmas present was hours away from fatal kidney failure after licking anti-freeze from a car part!

"She was giving us a bit of a scare because she was really disoriented. She couldn't stand straight. She'd fall over," 

During the night, Cleo got worse -- refusing food and constantly crying. Her panicked owner Stacy rushed her to a vet.

The only cure for coolant poisoning was another staff member's Christmas present: pure alcohol!

"There's toxins in that called etholyn-glycol and they're very, very harmful to the kidneys so what we need to do is give them alcohol and in this case, we gave her vodka to try and mop up some of those toxins," 

The vodka was fed via a drip through her nose and into her stomach. Over two days, the boozy pup consumed more than one-third of the bottle.

"If we put it in human terms, for me it would be the equivalent of having seven or eight shots every four hours," 

The Christmas vodka has since been replaced and Cleo is back to full health, now that the hangover is gone!