Boy charged in murder of great-grandmother could be tried as adult

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Antonio Barbeau (10-2-12)

SHEBOYGAN (WITI) — The Sheboygan Press has reported the lawyer for Antonio Barbeau has dropped a motion seeking to have Barbeau’s case tried in juvenile court. 

Nathan Paape

Nathan Paape

Barbeau and a friend, 13-year-old Nathan Paape are charged with first-degree intentional homicide for allegedly bludgeoning to death 78-year-old Barbara Olson (Barbeau’s great-grandmother) at her Sheboygan Falls home on Sept. 17th with a hammer and hatchet.

The boys are accused of ransacking Olson’s house and stealing money to buy marijuana and pizza.

Paape allegedly told investigators he went along with Barbeau’s plan to rob and kill Barbeau’s great-grandmother.

“At one point, she let them into the house, and (Barbeau) had a hatchet. (Barbeau) used the blunt end, struck her in the head at least twice, and then Nate also used a hammer and was striking her in the head,” Special Agent David Forsythe said.

Olson was hit next with the sharp end of the hatchet. According to investigators, the teens blame each other for that.

Barbeau’s lawyer, George Limbeck, had earlier filed a motion to have the case moved to juvenile court. However, Limbeck said Wednesday that Barbeau will no longer contest his case remaining in adult court.

Barbeau is scheduled to appear in court Thursday before Sheboygan County Circuit Court Judge Timothy Van Akkeren. 

District Attorney Joe DeCecco said the state is prepared to proceed either way.

A jury trial has been set for the week of March 4th for both boys, who are currently being tried together, though Limbeck has indicated that he will likely file a motion to have the case severed.

Related stories: