Chef Feker prepares East's Exotic Mushroom Risotto on Real Milwaukee.
IL MITO EAST’S EXOTIC MUSHROOM RISOTTO
Yield 4 servings
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 8 oz dried porcini mushrooms
• 1 lb crimini mushrooms
• 8 oz dried shitaki mushrooms
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 cup Arborio rice
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
• 2 oz fresh thyme, chopped
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the dry porcini and shitaki mushrooms.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 30 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and set aside.
5. Reheat the stock to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.
6. In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and all the mushrooms and cook until the onions are tender but not brown, about 3 minutes.
7. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the butter and the grains are partly toasted.
8. Add the wine and simmer until the wine has almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
9. Add 1/2 cup of warm stock and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
10. Continue with remaining stock, adding 1/2 cup at a time, and allowing each addition to be absorbed, until the rice is tender to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
11. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the Parmesan, salt and pepper.
12. Transfer the risotto to a serving bowl. Serve immediately.