Candle leads to fire at Sheboygan four-family apartment building

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHEBOYGAN (WITI) — Sheboygan Fire officials were on the scene of a fire they say was caused by the careless use of a candle.

The fire broke out just before 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 14th in the 1500 block of N. 35th Street.

Officials say while en route, heavy, black smoke was visible from several blocks away.

Upon arrival, crews encountered flames coming from both the front and side windows of one apartment in a four-unit building.

Officials say everyone inside the building was able to get out safely.

Officials say the apartment where the fire occurred was completely destroyed. They say damage to property and contents is estimated at over $100,000.