KENOSHA (WITI) -- Firefighters and police responded to an emergency near 60th St. and 14th Ave. in the city of Kenosha on Thursday, July 18th. A We Energies crew was also dispatched to the neighborhood.
FOX6's Ben Handelman reports all signs indicate there may have been some kind of natural gas explosion. All of the windows on the front of the abandoned, foreclosed house were blown out as drapes hung outside the home. At least two people were just feet away during the incident.
"You felt it in your chest like a fire cracker -- a big one," said Rob Peterson.
"It was kind of like the impact of a big car accident," said Megan Hulzinga. "I had no idea what had happened. I felt like I was kind of in shock."
Hulzinga was sitting in her car waiting for a friend next door when debris rained down on her vehicle.
"I could hear glass fall onto my car and it was a big cloud of smoke, kind of, surrounding it," said Hulzinga.
Those in the area suspected a natural gas explosion almost immediately.
"You came outside and all you smelled was gas," said one neighbor.
The neighborhood was evacuated as a precaution while firefighters searched the house. Kenosha Fire Chief John Peterson said there were no known occupants or injuries to report.
Residents were allowed back in their homes as the investigation continues. Neighbors say the damaged house has been empty for the past month.
Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.