Bartender shoots, kills armed robbery suspect at beer hall
MILWAUKEE (WITI) – Milwaukee Police are investigating the death of a 23-year-old Milwaukee man who was shot during a robbery attempt at a tavern in the 1900 block of S. 37th Street around 12 a.m. on August 16th.
Andy Kochanski, owner of Concertina Beer Hall, says three armed suspects attempted to rob him at gunpoint. That’s when Kochanski produced a handgun and shot one of the suspects.
The suspect died on the scene, and the other two suspects fled.
“I defended myself,” said Kochanski. “I did the shooting. Two guys with guns, what are you going to do? Protect yourself and your customers, that’s what I did.”
Nearby residents and customers commended Kochanski’s actions, however this is not the first time the bar owner has pulled out his pistol.
“There was another attempted robbery during my Christmas party which I dealt with pretty much the same way. I have no regrets doing it and I would do it again,” said Kochanski.
Kochanski remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation, which will be reviewed by the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office in the coming days.
“Don’t feel threatened or unsafe. Don’t let it reflect on the neighborhood because this is a good neighborhood,” added Kochanski.
- 24 people apply for ‘World’s Toughest Job' & get an emotional surprise
- Hilarious! Southwest flight attendant tries to "spice up" safety instructions
- 79-year-old dancer on "Britain's Got Talent" leaves Simon Cowell in awe
- Man in custody after two backpacks found at Boston Marathon finish line
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized; cancels Tuesday night show in Kansas City