Energy assistance dollars now available through state program
MILWAUKEE (WITI) — We Energies is encouraging customers to apply early for heating assistance. Funding is available now through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP).
Qualification is not based on whether someone is behind on paying their energy bills. Instead, the benefit amount is determined by household size, income level, energy costs and other factors. An individual with an annual income of approximately $24,700 or less may qualify. Families of four that earn up to approximately $47,500 a year may also qualify for assistance.
WHEAP assistance is administered through local agencies. Wisconsin residents are encouraged to call 866-432-8947 or visit homeenergyplus.wi.gov for more information.
Applicants must provide:
- Photo ID for applicant, including name and address.
- Proof of income for all household members for previous three months.
- Social Security numbers for everyone in the household.
- Current energy bill.
- Phone number of landlord and rent certificate or statement (if applicant is renter and heat is included in rent or a separate payment is made to the landlord).
WHEAP provides assistance to more than 200,000 Wisconsin families annually.
- Police: Man killed wife after 56 years of marriage because she was "nagging" him
- 27 indicted in drug conspiracy case, firearms & money seized
- McDonald's customers shocked by workers manning drive-through
- Teen canoeist found safe, but "nobody should be putting canoes in rivers"
- Unexpected: Baby gorilla named Kassiu dies at Milwaukee Co. Zoo