Gov. Walker faces tough questions on FOX News Sunday
WASHINGTON, D.C. (WITI) — On FOX News on Sunday, February 23rd, Gov. Scott Walker faced tough questions about his actions as Milwaukee County Executive. This, after 27,000 emails and other documents related to a John Doe investigation centering on several aides and associates to Walker while he was County Executive were released last week. Six people convicted of crimes in connection with the investigation led by Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm.
Chris Wallace, host of the Fox News program Fox News Sunday said this to now-Gov. Walker on Sunday: “Thousands of emails were released this week that indicate you knew public workers were working on county time in political campaigns, which is against the law.”
“That’s just absolutely not true. If you look at the facts out there, this is old news,” Gov. Walker said on the show.
Gov. Walker said his political opponents are trying to change the subject from his successes as governor to what he repeatedly called “old news,” but Wallace pressed him, saying the information was “new news” for a lot of people in Wisconsin.
Wallace said: “If county workers were doing nothing wrong, why should they be using a private email account?”
“That’s exactly to my point. You had a Democratic district attorney spend three years looking at every single one of those communications, interviewing people, and they closed the case last March,” Gov. Walker said.
Wallace then asks Gov. Walker: “Did you know there was a private email account?”
“Once again, I point out the district attorney has reviewed each and every one of these,” Gov. Walker said.
When Wallace accused Gov. Walker of “not answering the question,” Walker said: “No, because I’m not going to get into 27,000 pieces of information.”
Afterwards, the Democratic National Committee responded to Gov. Walker’s FOX News Sunday appearance, saying:
“Just because Scott Walker isn`t behind bars today doesn`t mean he is not guilty of unethical behavior that has broken the public trust. While a second investigation into related conduct moves forward, the Governor still needs to explain his actions and how such wide-spread illegal activity could happen under his nose.”
That second John Doe investigation involves possible illegal campaign coordination between a campaign committee and certain special interest groups during the 2012 recall election, including the Wisconsin Club for Growth.
Eric O’Keefe, a self-described “political activist” who runs the Wisconsin Club for Growth has filed a federal lawsuit to stop the John Doe investigation.
Gov. Walker says his campaign is not involved in the lawsuit and has nothing to hide.
“We’ve consistently operated within the law and we’ll continue to going forward,” Gov. Walker has said.
- Documents reveal details in probe of former Walker aides
- Release of emails raises this question: What did Walker know?
- Emails provide insight as to how Walker’s staff handled O’Donnell tragedy
- What does release of emails mean for Gov. Walker’s future?
- Dem. Party spokesman says he’s a target in one of the emails
- Thousands of emails unsealed in misconduct case of ex-Walker aide
- Conservative activist files suit to stop John Doe involving Walker
- Gov. Walker will not face charges in John Doe investigation