Family of six displaced following early morning house fire in Racine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — A family of six was displaced early Tuesday morning, March 25th following a house fire on Woodrow Avenue in Racine.

According to officials, a resident in the home woke to the smell of smoke and then alerted the rest of the family. All six family members were able to self evacuate.

According to officials, the fire broke out in a first floor wall within an electrical receptacle and then spread up.

When fire officials arrived on scene they saw smoke coming from the second floor window.

Officials say the fire was quickly under control and the damage was limited to the kitchen and first floor bathroom.

The home did have smoke detectors, but none of them were functional due to dead or pulled batteries.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.