2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

Cigarette embers spark early morning house fire in Racine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RACINE (WITI) — Racine fire crews were called to the scene of a house fire Tuesday morning, April 1st on W. High Street.

According to officials, a passing neighbor noticed smoke and flames coming from the side door of the home, and alerted the residents — which included a young couple with an eight-day-old baby.

Officials say all residents were able to exit the home safely.

It was determined that the fire started when embers from a cigarette were blown into the gaps in the exterior framing.

The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.