Coverage of the Great American Solar Eclipse ☀️ set to occur Monday, August 21st

Fire starts in basement of home near 54th and Congress

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — Milwaukee firefighters on Tuesday evening, June 3rd were on the scene of a house fire that broke out near N. 54th Street and Congress.

The fire occurred at a 1.5-story home.

All of the occupants of the home were able to get out of the home before firefighters arrived on scene. However, a dog had to be rescued.

Fire officials say the dog was given oxygen, but did not survive.

No injuries were reported as a result of this fire.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the home’s occupants.

Fire officials believe the fire originated in the basement of the home — and may have spread up the walls.

It is believed a couch in the home’s basement caught fire.

The fire caused an estimated $45,000 in damage.

The home was equipped with working smoke detectors.