2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

Mother says energy drinks led to death of 16-year-old daughter

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Peoria, AZ (KPHO) — Lanna Hamann, 16, was vacationing in Rocky Point, Mexico, when her mother received a call she never expected: Her daughter was dead from a heart attack.

Kris Hamann said it appeared her daughter has been drinking energy drinks while on the beach. The friends with whom she was traveling told her mother that Lanna was not drinking any water.

On Saturday evening, she had complained to her friend’s father she did not feel well. That is when she went into cardiac arrest and died.

“Obviously, this is something that could have happened anywhere, whether she was in Mexico or whether she was here in Arizona playing softball,” Kris Hamann said.

“(Parents should) make sure they’re watching their kids. (Watch) what they’re drinking and (make sure) they’re drinking water instead of an energy drink,” Hamann said.

Sunday, dozens of Lanna’s friends gathered to remember the 16-year-old sophomore at Sunrise Mountain High School. Her mother plans to travel to Rocky Point on Tuesday to sign the death certificate and retrieve her daughter’s body.

Because of complications with Lanna’s birth certificate, the U.S.-based mortuary the family is using was not able to bring Lanna’s body back to the United States. Kris Hamann said the total cost so far has exceeded $13,000.

The Hamann family has set up an account with Wells Fargo banks. If you’d like to help out, simply go to any branch and tell an employee you’d like to make a donation to the Lanna Hamann Memorial Fund.


    • Concerned Parent

      I worked for the National Funeral Director’s Association(NFDA). There were many times that we received calls from people who had friends/family who passed away in another country while vacationing. We would help them find a local funeral home in that country. Believe me when I say that the $13,000 that they are saying is needed to bring her daughter back to the US is very true. Each country/funeral home can set their own pricing. There aren’t any international laws that forbid it. There are some countries that would charge $30,000 – $45,000 and up. A lot of people will have the body cremated for a more reasonable cost but it still will be expensive. I hope this helps.

    • Daniel Jalensky

      not so much a scam on the mothers part the MEXICANS allow their people to flood this Country for hand outs yet this mother can’t get her daughter back say no to MEXICO support your own people no more freebies

  • lori

    Energy drinks did not cause this girls death. Unfortunately Her lack of self hydrating properly is what caused her death.

      • Vanessa

        The mother is not a doctor either. The article specifically states: “MOTHER blames…” There is no medical evidence to support the mother’s claims. She is looking for an explanation and needs to blame some thing/someone.

    • VeryGoodGirl

      People become dehydrated all the time, but it doesn’t cause a heart attack. HFCS concentrates the mercury that grows naturally in corn. Learn about the effects of prolonged exposure to mercury.

  • Gale

    If you have no words of comfort, keep it to yourself. Her family doesn’t need to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

  • Kevin Goldberg

    My thoughts and prayers go out to Lanna’s family and friends. Energy Drinks can be deadly to anyone with an underlying heart disease. Dozens if not hundreds of adverse events related to energy drinks have been reported to the FDA and Poison Control Centers. The problem is that many young people have underlying heart disease which has not yet been diagnosed because of their youth (the heart disease is sub-clinical). The Energy Drink companies target their marketing at teens and young adults. Here in Maryland we tried to get a law passed to ban the sale of energy drinks to minors. Although practically the entire Maryland medical community supported our bill, the bill did not pass because of heavy lobbying by the American Beverage Association (ABA) and Energy Drink Companies. Energy Drinks can also be deadly to anyone who is on other stimulants —for example anyone who takes stimulants for ADHD or Asthma should NOT be consuming energy drinks.

  • Daniel Jalensky

    depending what energy drink she was drinking AND what was it mixed with or added to it alcohol etc could have brought this heart attack on , I drink RED BULL and never had any problems EXCEPT I drank 2 cans 8oz each several hours apart was awake till next day not jumpy just awake and alert

  • Something is not right

    What complications with her birth certificate? I know for a fact that any minor travelling to Mexico without their parents is required to have a Letter of Consent, Passport, Birth Certificate & Birth Certificates of her parents & the guardian that she is travelling with. Check with the Embassy if you don’t believe me. How could there be a complication with her birth certificate with all that documentation? Something is very fishy about this case.

  • adam

    When i was 20 I was in the hospital with a 175 heat rate for hours after drinking a bunch of vodka redbulls. I’m sure it wasn’t just the energy drinks, maybe a weak heart.

  • sarahwls100609

    My thoughts and prayers are with the family. There should be warning labels on energy drinks. However like myself I had no idea how much of a serious reaction I had just by drinking caffiene. I went into A fib and could have easily died. I had no idea that I had a serious reaction and was highly allergic to caffeine. I’m on two different types of heart meds and was told energy drinks could have easily killed me due to the amount of caffeine in one. Its equivalent to 5 cans of Coca Cola. Again my prayers are with the family and my heart goes out to them. God bless!!

Comments are closed.