Police: Man sustains significant injuries to hand while throwing firework
MILWAUKEE (WITI) — Milwaukee police say a 40-year-old man sustained significant injuries to one of his hands as he was attempting to throw a firework.
The incident occurred around 9:22 p.m. in the 2700 block of N. Richards on Wednesday, July 2nd.
Police say the circumstances are still unclear at this time — and the investigation into this matter is ongoing.
With the 4th of July approaching, this is a great time to remember the dangers of fireworks which can cause serious injuries and death if not properly used.
Here are more tips to protect yourself and your family:
- Adults igniting the fireworks should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- Only buy fireworks from reliable sellers.
- Use fireworks only outdoors.
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Always have water handy (a garden hose or a bucket).
- Light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from buildings, dry leaves and flammable materials.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people or animals.
- Keep your pets indoors to reduce the risk that they will run loose and get injured. Many animals have very sensitive ears and can be stressed or frightened by fireworks.