Early morning house fire: Three residents, one firefighter taken to the hospital in Racine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RACINE (WITI) — Racine fire crews responded to a house fire on Racine’s near south side early Wednesday morning, July 30th.

According to officials, multiple 911 calls were made around midnight for a fire in the 1500 block of Owen Avenue.

Upon arrival, Racine firefighters battled heavy fire conditions on the second floor of a two-story, single-family residence.

Officials say the fire was under control in 30 minutes.

Authorities say the fire started in a second floor bedroom and was caused by an electrical failure in a wall outlet.

Racine Fire Department Paramedics treated and transported three adult residents to Wheaton Franciscan All Saints Racine ER for minor burns and/or smoke inhalation.

Officials say a Racine firefighter sustained a laceration to his head from falling glass. Paramedics also treated and transported him to the ER.

He was treated and returned to duty.

Crews remained on scene until 4 a.m.

The estimated loss is $40,000 to the structure, and $5,000 to contents.