2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

Woman hospitalized after drinking ‘highly toxic substance’ in restaurant’s tea

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah (WITI) — A 67-year-old woman was hospitalized after drinking a sweet tea at a Dickey’s Barbecue Pit restaurant in Utah.

According to KSTU, the glass of sweet tea contained a toxic industrial cleaning chemical.  Seconds after the woman took a drink, her mouth and throat started to burn.

The woman was rushed to the hospital, where she was listed in critical condition.

The cleaning solution found in the sweet tea is made up of 67 percent sodium hydroxide.

“I don’t know how much was put into this drink. But from what I understand, it was a highly toxic substance, and the amount in there caused some severe burns to her mouth and her throat,” South Jordan Police Officer Sam Winkler said.

The franchise’s owner, Finger Lickin Brands LLC., issued a statement:

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to our guest and her family. Safety is something we take very seriously when it comes to our valued guests, as well as our own team members. At this time we are fully involved in cooperating with all parties. Out of respect for the privacy of our guest and her family, we will reserve further remarks for the time being.”

sweet-tea

 

8 comments

Comments are closed.