MILWAUKEE (WITI) — Twenty drunken drivers — seven of them repeat offenders were arrested this holiday weekend, as the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office ramped up patrols for Labor Day weekend beginning Friday, August 29th through Tuesday, September 2nd.
During this weekend’s initiative, Sheriff’s deputies took part in 232 traffic stops — and a total of 221 citations were issued.
There were no fatal crashes, but Sheriff’s deputies did respond to five crashes with injuries. There were 28 crashes with property damage only. Three crashes were DUI-related.
The following is a breakdown of citations issued by Sheriff’s deputies this holiday weekend:
- Nine seat belt citations
- 83 excessive speed citations
- 20 unlicensed, revoked, suspended driving citations
- 66 other moving/non-moving violations (lane deviation, registration, no insurance, etc.)
As for drunken drivers, Sheriff’s deputies arrested 39-year-old Bernabe Torres-Cruz of Milwaukee for DUI-3rd offense.
Six drivers were arrested for their second DUI offense. They include the following individuals:
- 37-year-old Jesus Marques-Candelaria of Milwaukee
- 24-year-old Benicio Marco Macias of Milwaukee
- 42-year-old Mike Brzostowski of Milwaukee
- 33-year-old Michael Erickson of Oconomowoc
- 21-year-old Benjamin Esquivel-Sanches of Waukesha
- 26-year-old Cody Manchek of West Allis
13 people were arrested for their first DUI. They include the following individuals:
- 51-year-old Tamera Guilinger of Elgin, Illinois
- 52-year-old Renee Lippitt of Muskego
- 24-year-old Jessica Brandis of South Milwaukee
- 49-year-old Matthew Hartz of Waukesha
- 61-year-old Richard Besch of Milwaukee
- 58-year-old Kenneth DeRamus of Milwaukee
- 27-year-old Ada Monk of Milwaukee
- 40-year-old Edwin Garcia of Milwaukee
- 25-year-old Andrew Kopplin of Milwaukee
- 24-year-old Tatiana Maldonado of Milwaukee
- 27-year-old Allen Alston of Milwaukee
- 18-year-old Nathaniel Schieble of Milwaukee
- 21-year-old Colin Russ of Milwaukee
Sheriff’s officials say 27-year-old Allen Alston of Milwaukee was stopped by a Sheriff’s deputy Sunday, August 31st as he exited U.S. 41 northbound on W. Lisbon Avenue at N. 47th Street.
Alston was arrested for his first DUI with a .17 preliminary breath test. He was also arrested for recklessly endangering safety for having a loaded gun in his vehicle.
If convicted on the recklessly endangering safety charge, he faces up to nine months in jail.
Sheriff’s officials arrested Kenneth DeRamus of Milwaukee on Friday, August 29th for his first DUI offense. He was arrested for DUI with a minor child in the car. Sheriff’s deputies stopped him on the I-94 off ramp near 25th Street.
Sheriff’s officials say three DUI-related crashes occurred this holiday weekend — with two of them involving injuries.
26-year-old Cody Manchek of West Allis, arrested for his second DUI offense was involved in a minor crash and sustained minor injuries, according to Sheriff’s officials.
Sheriff’s officials say a serious rollover crash forced the closing of I-94 northbound in the Mitchell Interchange around 4:20 a.m. Sunday.
24-year-old Benicio Marco Macias of Milwaukee was unconscious and suffered head injuries when his car landed on its roof in a lane of traffic, according to Sheriff’s officials. He was taken to Froedtert Hospital — and arrested for his second DUI.