Milwaukee teen dies weeks after allergic reaction to peanut butter cookie

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — A 16-year-old boy who had an allergic reaction to eating a peanut butter cookie has now died.

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s report says the teen, identified as Jaime Mendoza, had a known peanut allergy and does not carry an inhaler or epi-pen. He ate a┬ápeanut butter cookie on October 15th — he thought he was eating a chocolate chip cookie. While eating the cookie, the report says Mendoza “suddenly became short of breath.” He had an anaphylactic reaction to the cookie and immediately went into cardiac arrest.

The report indicates a friend of Mendoza drove him to St. Luke’s Medical Center where life-saving measures were performed on him. A CT scan apparently showed he suffered a brain injury. Mendoza was later transferred to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin. From there, Mendoza had a “progressive decline in health.”

Mendoza died on Thursday, November 27th.