MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica shows us how to prepare zucchini noodles with avocado cream sauce.
- 2-4 zucchinis, washed
- Olive oil
- Veggies of your choice to sauté
For the sauce:
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted & peeled
- Handful of basil leaves (more on less depending on taste)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (more if you like sauce garlicky)
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- OPTIONAL: 2-3 tbsp of pine nuts
- Use a julienne or vegetable spiral to make zucchini noodles. (I use a “veggetti”). Drain excess water from the cut zucchini noodles and sprinkle some sea salt on them. Pat excess water with paper towels. Set aside.
- To make sauce, place all sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Drizzle in more olive oil if sauce is too thick. Add salt & pepper to taste. (NOTE: if you like your zoodles raw, you can toss the sauce with the noodles and serve.)
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan, and sauté your choice of vegetables over medium high heat until cooked. Add zucchini noodles and cook for about 2 minutes. (Zoodles cook very fast.) Add avocado sauce and toss. Cook for another 2-4 minutes until entire dish is heated through. (NOTE: you can also heat the sauce separately and serve on top of the zoodles & veggies.)
NOTE: You can also cook and add your meat of choice. Chicken, shrimp and even salmon goes well with this dish!