North Shore firefighters battle working house fire in Brown Deer
BROWN DEER (WITI) — The North Shore Fire Department battled a house fire near 60th and Fairy Chasm in Brown Deer. No one was injured.
Lt. Dan Tyk tells FOX6 News a homeowner returned to the home and discovered it was on fire. No one was home when the fire started. A 911 call came in shortly before 4:00 p.m.
First-arriving crews found heavy smoke coming from multiple sides of the home and requested the call be upgraded to bring additional resources to the scene. The fire advanced extensively through the attic area of the home, resulting in a partial collapse of an area of the roof prior to the arrival of fire crews. Crews initiated an aggressive interior attack on the fire and were able to bring it under control.
There were no injuries to any of the occupants of the home or any of the personnel operating at the scene.
Crews reported a smoke detector sounding on their arrival. Two additional detectors were located in the home, but neither had batteries in place. That has North Shore Fire officials reminding folks of the importance of having working smoke detectors.
The home suffered heavy fire and water damage, and significant portions of the first floor ceiling had to be pulled to give fire crews access to the fire in the attic. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $150,000.
There is no word at this time as to the cause of the fire.