Watch live: Florida students speak at a gun law rally in Livingston, New Jersey

Here are 23 texting acronyms every parent should know

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Credit: WGHP

Fifty years ago, the idea of texting from a mobile phone would seem like science fiction. Now it’s all most teenagers do.

Teenagers rarely spell out words while texting, opting to use acronyms instead. When attempting to decipher the codes, it can feel like translating a language.

Some teenagers also used texting acronyms to hide behavior from their parents. WGHP spoke to some parents and family members who were clueless about the "secret" acronyms.

Texting codes referring to sex are rampant. The group of parents said they were shocked to hear how some teenagers are choosing to communicate. A dad told us he was surprised by “the extent that they will go to to hide things.”

Credit: WGHP

And while they realize they can’t stop it, they said it's important to have an open dialogue with teenagers.

“You’re not going to be able to stop teens. They will find another way to get the message across. It’s going to be up to adults to find out what these things mean," an uncle said.

Here are 23 commonly used texting acronyms:

9 -- Parent watching
CD9 -- Code 9 - it means parents are around
99 -- Parent gone
143 --I love you
BROKEN -- hung over
420 -- Marijuana
1337 -- Elite or leet or L337
459 -- I love you
53X -- Sex
ADR -- Address
ASL -- Age/Sex/Location
1174 -- the meeting place, meet at
F2F -- Face-to-Face
GNOC -- Get Naked On Cam
IWSN -- I Want Sex Now
8 – Oral sex
IPN – I’m posting naked
LH6 – Let’s have sex
WTTP – Want to trade pictures?
DOC – Drug of choice
TWD – Texting while driving
GYPO – Get your pants off
KPC -- Keeping parents clueless

5 comments

  • Peanut

    To temper the horrified look on parents’ faces, I’ve never heard of 90% of these and the other 10% are so cheesey nobody actually uses them

  • Garrett

    Not sure where you got your information. This is a very poor representation of teens texting. These “codes” are so far fetched. I would like some proof of teens actually using these.

  • Joe

    “Not going to be able to stop teens” Did you ever think of takeing away the phone? Not giving them a phone or money to get a phone will stop this behavior.

Comments are closed.