LIVE: Former First Lady Barbara Bush lies in repose Friday at St. Martin’s Church in Houston

Lightning strikes gas meter outside home in Germantown, sparks fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GERMANTOWN — Germantown Police and Fire Departments responded to the scene of a house fire on Auburn Lane early Friday morning, September 18th.

The Germantown Police Department Communications Center received a 911 call around 12:44 a.m. from a resident. The caller reported that their house was struck by lightning and that it was filling with smoke.

When crews arrived on scene, they found that a fire had started on the exterior of the single-family home, and had extended into the attic. The fire was extinguished by the Germantown Fire Department.

The couple who reside in the home were able to escape unharmed.

One firefighter sprained his ankle during the operation and was transported to Community Memorial Hospital for evaluation. The firefighter was treated and released.

The investigation determined that lightning had struck the gas meter outside of the home, which caued the fire. We Energies responded to the scene and determined that there was no danger to the neighborhood.

Damage to the home was estimated at $75,000.