MILWAUKEE -- We're celebrating "Crocktober" on FOX6 WakeUp! Angela Horkan with the Wisconsin Beef Council joined the show to share her recipe for beef and green olive stew.
1-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; adding additional 1 tablespoon oil as necessary. Set aside.
- Add onions, oregano and fennel seeds to stock pot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add wine to pot; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 minute or until browned bits attached to pot are dissolved. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in olives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
To cook in a slow cooker, combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Add beef, onions, oregano, fennel, wine, beef broth, tomatoes and tomato paste to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir until combined. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir in olives and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes.