2018 FIFA World Cup Fan Guide ⚽
Where to watch FOX6 News, Real Milwaukee during World Cup Soccer ⚽

One of two brothers accused in shooting death of Michael Powell reaches plea deal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE COUNTY — One of two brothers from Milwaukee, accused in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Powell — a shooting that occurred near 29th and Melvina on April 14th, 2015 has reached a plea deal in the case against him.

Aric Jones

Aric Jones

25-year-old Aric Jones faces one count of homicide by negligent handling of a dangerous weapon/explosive, use of a dangerous weapon, penalties for felonies — Class “G” felony.

A charge of possession of a firearm by a felon was dismissed but read into the court record on Monday, October 19th as Aric Jones appeared in court in Milwaukee County.

Aric Jones then pleaded guilty to the amended homicide by negligent operation of a dangerous weapon charge (amended from second degree intentional homicide).

He was then remanded into custody, and a sentencing hearing was scheduled for December 7th.

Aaron Jones, Aric Jones

Aaron Jones, Aric Jones

Aric Jones’ brother, 27-year-old Aaron Jones faces one count of second degree intentional homicide as party to a crime, use of a dangerous weapon.

Aaron Jones has a jury trial that’s set to begin on October 22nd.

According to the criminal complaint, Powell had a “reported history of mental health problems” and apparently entered the shared residence of the Jones brothers around 1:45 p.m. on April 14th. He did so without the consent of the Jones brothers. The complaint indicates “Aric Jones, by his own admission, while armed with a 40 caliber semi-automatic handgun…aided and abetted by his brother…shot and killed” Powell.

Michael Powell

Michael Powell

The complaint says both the Jones brothers “admitted to police that neither defendant called 911 or otherwise attempted to obtain police assistance upon observing and/or learning that the victim had entered the residence without consent.” Jones apparently told police “he thought (Powell) had a gun. However, no gun was recovered and no evidence of a second firearm was located at the scene. The complaint says, “The totality of the circumstances support the conclusion that the defendants’ use of any alleged ‘defensive’ force was unnecessary and easily avoided.”

If convicted on the charges, each faces up to 60 years in prison.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.